Thursday, September 10, 2009

What Would Sherlock Holmes Find?

When time is over and life is done.
I invite Sherlock Holmes to the scene of my life.
Let’s see what would he find?
Just off the cuff, maybe ….He’d see the corn on the middle finger of my right hand and say..
‘Used a writing instrument a lot…a teacher or a writer’
He open my mouth and one look at my set he’d say..
‘She sure was not in love with the dentist, rarely visited’
My wardrobe would tell him
‘Took pride in dressing. Enjoyed giving a good impression’
One look at my books he’d conclude
‘Reading was for learning not pleasure”
And so on and so forth……..

But would he be able to gauge:

My realizations which pointed the way in the direction of self discovery:
How far away I was from the reality of this world. How little I used my intellect and how much I let my emotions rule and take decisions for me. How stubborn and fixed I was in my ways of dealing with problems. How ill-equipped I was in dealing with the blows life dealt. How small and rigid my vision of life and the world. How small and non-existent were my dreams. How dominating and crippling were my negative thoughts.

My happiness
The picture of my Janelle as I brought her home from the hospital is etched in my being. Her cute face perfect in prettiness and wonderfully sweet. Her most beautiful eyes looking at me calmly. Her palm curled into a fist each perfect finger opening now and again. The warmest feeling washed over me then and every time I think of that moment.

She’s mine, she IS mine” swirling in my mind. My heart overwhelmed with happiness, contentment and purpose.
It never fails to thrill.
It never fades in intensity.
She is my treasure. She is my wealth.


My desire:
To improve my life by changing the things I can.
When I found it, it was to be powerfully effective in thoughts, words and deeds.

My effort:
To do my best in every situation. To acknowledge mistakes and make amends.
Try in every waking moment to be the best possible me. To always hope.
To always dwell in faith. To know that charity begins with me being kind to myself.

NO, I don’t think he would be able to tell the whole me!

In the actuality of life one is never seen in ones’ entirety. I am defined by the choice I make in the prevailing circumstance. My dealing makes me be seen as a devil or as an angel. Both perceptions are wrong. I am neither this nor that. I am both. At any given time I have both in me. It’s what I choose to do in a situation that highlights either or. I have it in me to do the right thing and I have it in me to do the wrong thing. Believe me. You do too. We all do.

In contemplation I faced myself today and in that moment I was neither and angel or a devil. I saw me in colours. Many bright and brilliant. Some faded and dusty. Some murky and dirty. But colours nevertheless. And definitely the colour black out lining some or running right through the colours elsewhere. Sometimes the role of Mr. Black was to give definition and other times to blur.
It’s very interesting to observe yourself as an onlooker.
It gives a new perspective.
Try it sometime. It’s great, really!

Joscelyn

1 comment:

  1. Reading for learning not pleasure... Hmmm A completely new perspective for me.
    Neeta

    ReplyDelete