Friday, September 4, 2009

My Time In Paradise


Teaching three and a half years olds to read and write gives me a purpose in life.
I derive immense satisfaction from being instrumental in providing this very fundamental right to children entrusted in my care.
I regard this as a mighty privilege and a major responsibility too.
Yes, this is what teaching means to me.
My canvas is a group of children with eager, intelligent, curious minds.
I am blessed with a new canvas each year.
I view this as a huge asset to have no two years identical in experience and content though curriculum, festivals and events remain the same.
It keeps work interesting, unpredictable and imaginative to say the least. They move my spirit and challenge me to change, innovate and improve methods of creating an environment that fosters learning and progress.
Little ones are wonderfully honest mirrors and reasons to embrace change.

I recall the day I sat besides Anil, his cute face a mark of unhappiness. He was one of my fussy eaters. Hoping to encourage him to eat the food he had in his lunch box.
I put a big smile on my face and said,
“Humm! That smells good; Mummy has prepared such delicious food for you. So make her happy and eat all of it, won’t you?”

He looked visibly happier. Wow! I did it, I thought.
Anil replied happily, “Mummy hasn’t made this; Chachi has, so now I don’t have to eat it, right!”
I was left speechless.

I treasure in my memory the expression on the little face when after great effort the first number or letter is written flawlessly. If I do remind them how a 5 or 8 or K had troubled them.
I always get the same answer no matter who the child may be and it goes like this.
“Then I was small, now I am big”
This answer never fails to make me smile.

I happened to make a error in the date while writing a note in the diaries of the children. So after returning from playing in the park. I asked the children for their diaries once more. In a flash Abhinav was at my desk.
Looking perplexed he asked, “Why again, what are you going to write now.”
I should say here that Abhinav always asked questions every step of the way right through the day. I told him what I intended to do.
A hardly audible ‘Oh’ escaped his lips as he went to get his diary.
A few days later I was required to send a note for the fee card to be brought to school. So I went ahead and asked for the children’s diaries. As usual Abhinav asked and I answered.
He seemed satisfied with what I had told him so I was surprised to see his little face over my desk a moment later. On his face he sported a deadly serious expression.
He said, “See that you write the correct date this time”.
Hardly able to control my laughter I said, “Yes Sir”
He sounded so much like me. Off went Abhinav skipping back to his place. ‘Mission Accomplished’

Abhinav is no more. Cruel cancer stole the curious, happy child from us. But it’s many episodes like these ones which make every day “A Teachers Day” for me.

Happy Teachers Day !!
Joscelyn

1 comment:

  1. Happy Teacher's Day!!
    Loved the little anecdotes in the post.
    Neeta

    ReplyDelete